Position Name: AmeriCorps Income Generation & Management Specialist (IGMS)
Number of Positions: 1 full-time AmeriCorps member.
Position Start Date : October 9, 2017
Position End Date: October 5, 2018
Days/ Hours of Service: Full-time AmeriCorps members will serve approximately 40 hours per week. Regular service hours will be Monday through Friday, 8am – 6pm. Some evening and weekend service is required. A member’s schedule is agreed upon by the member and the Program Supervisor at the beginning of the program. The schedule may be changed upon agreement, based on program or member’s needs.
Host Sites: HRI’s main office is located at 420 E. Alcott Street, Suite 200, Kalamazoo, MI 49001
Members may also serve at any of the following HRI locations:
– Eleanor House Family Shelter: 522 Eleanor Street, Kalamazoo, MI
– Rickman House: 345 N. Burdick Street, Kalamazoo, MI
HRI’s Mission: The missing of Housing Resources, Inc. (HRI) is the assurance of housing for socially or economically vulnerable persons of Kalamazoo County.
Project Mission and Goals: The Income Generation and Management Specialist (IGMS) will be part of the HRI Rapid Re-housing team. The member in this position will support partnerships to identify resources available to clients specific to income and employment improvement and stability. The member will work directly with Michigan Works! Southwest to develop a more streamlined approach to connect our clients with available employment services while improving direct contact with employers, and work with financial institutions to scale the financial stability classes. The member will act as the liaison with financial and employment resources in the community to draw a direct line between homeless job seekers and the opportunities that exist while also assisting clients directly with resume building, completing job applications, and focusing on assessment areas to measure stability.
Member Position Summary: Michigan’s Campaign to End Homelessness (CTEH) AmeriCorps Program will support service providers by increasing their capacity to offer assistance to homeless and at-risk individuals and families. Specifically, the AmeriCorps members in the CTEH program will provide services that will increase an individual’s self-sufficiency in the area of income and life skills.
Essential Functions of Position:
– Network with employers to create access to employment opportunities
– Support clients with job searches
– Assist with resume writing, help with filling out employment applications
– Provide linkages to GED, education, and other skilled trade programs
– Work to create employer mentorship and other programs
– Seek out employers/organizations who would be willing to assist at the agency for income and/or
– Work with clients to help balance budgets, create sustainable living plans
– Teach life skills classes related to income and budgeting
– Provide information to clients related to other income sources (TANF, Medicaid, SSI, etc.)
– Assist clients with applications to mainstream benefits or refer to case manager
– Connect clients with additional necessary resources
– Provide follow-up services to clients as needed
Note: The AmeriCorps member will not be permitted to perform duties that violate the AmeriCorps Prohibited Activities or fall outside of the program goals.
Required Academic and Experience Qualifications:
– Be at least 18 years of age
– Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or a lawful, permanent resident of the U.S. and provide a copy of a birth certificate, passport or permanent resident card to prove citizenship
– Have completed some college or comparable work experience
– Must be able to complete a full term of service (one year)
– Pass the following criminal history checks in accordance with CTEH National Service Criminal History Check policy: State of Michigan, DHS Central Registry Clearance, FBI fingerprinting, and National Sex Offender Registry
– Have a car or can arrange reliable transportation to and from service site, multiple mandatory training sessions in Lansing, and travel on behalf of site
– Possess proficiency with word processing software and email
– Be able to interact respectfully with individuals from diverse socio-economic backgrounds
– Strong interpersonal communication skills, self-directed, positive time management
Benefits for Full-time Commitment (1700 hours)
– Living allowance: $12,630/year to be paid bi-weekly over the course of the service year
– Education Award: $5,815 upon successful completion of the service term which can be used
towards qualified student loans
– Health Care Coverage: Provided by the program for FT members only
Selection Process: To be considered for the AmeriCorps position, interested individuals must submit a current resume to the Rapid Re-Housing Team Leader of HRI. Staff will review the application, request an interview and application (if appropriate), conduct three reference checks, and conduct a final interview of finalist for the member position. The applicant will be responsible for getting a three part criminal history check. Individuals will not be allowed to start orientation or be enrolled in the program until all appropriate background check and paperwork is received by HRI.
To apply, send an email with “AmeriCorps IGMS” in the subject line with your cover letter and resume attached to:
HRI Team Leader: email@example.com
For more information about AmeriCorps, visit:
For more information about HRI, visit:
Job Code Number