Job Posting for Immediate Release 11/20/17
Messiah Housing Corporation (Detroit) seeking Bookkeeper / Collections Assistant
Church of the Messiah Housing Corporation (CMHC) is a nonprofit housing corporation established in 1978 to eliminate blight and promote the development of permanent affordable housing in the Islandview Village neighborhood near Belle Isle. CMHC currently manages over 175 affordable housing units.
This position is full-time requiring 40 hours per week.
The Bookkeeper / Collections Assistant (B/CA) shall be directly supervised by CMHC’s Assistant Property Manager for rent collections and associated administrative responsibilities by the CMHC’s Asset Manager for bookkeeping and associated administrative responsibilities.
Objectives: Assist by handling basic bookkeeping activities of the corporation and rent collection for properties managed by the corporation, and related administrative tasks associated with the job roles. These activities shall be executed in accordance with identified corporate goals to obtain optimum efficiency, economy of operation, and maximum service to tenants and communities served.
Essential Rent Collection Functions:
- Collect rents, security deposits, non-refundable rental application fees, rent subsidies, late charges, and other fees or payments from tenants, or prospective tenants, of developments managed by CMHC.
- Follow established CMHC collection procedures and properly record all collection receipts in Yardi tracking system.
- Help Assistant Property Manager prepare weekly rent roll and delinquency reports.
- Contact tenants as required to collect delinquent rent payments.
- Help Assistant Property Manager with tenant collections related administrative tasks as may be required.
Essential Bookkeeping Functions:
- Record all corporate and property management income (including tenant rents) and cash receipts into QuickBooks Accounting or YARDI Beacon Software, ensure that allocation of cash receipts is accurately posted, and prepare weekly accounts receivable reports.
- Record vendor bills and other payables into QuickBooks Accounting or YARDI Beacon software systems, ensure that allocation of payables is accurately posted and prepare weekly accounts payable reports.
- Reconcile YARDI Beacon weekly summaries of tenant rent and move-in deposits with checks and cash received from Assistant Property Manager.
- Bill residents for damages or charges incurred as directed by Property Manager.
- Provide detailed account statements to help resolve billing errors or disputes with tenants as may be required.
- Assist Asset Manager with bookkeeping related administrative tasks as may be required.
- File daily all copies of paid invoices with attached copy of CMHC’s check remittance
- Prepare various reports and forms as directed by Supervisors.
- Shred all unused or unneeded financial printouts and maintain confidentiality regarding corporate finances
- Perform all other work duties as directed by supervisors
Required Job Qualifications:
Candidate must have:
- A minimum of two years’ experience in similar job position
- Demonstrated proficiency with spread sheet, word processing, and accounting software programs
- Physical and mental ability to work full-time and perform all work tasks required
- Reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license issued from the State of Michigan.
- Mathematical Skills including ability to work with basic mathematical concepts including fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations
- Reasoning Skills including ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in writing, oral, diagram or schedule form.
Associates degree, or equivalent two-year’s experience in bookkeeping or business administration.
Equal Opportunity Employer: The Church of the Messiah Housing Corporation’s (CMHC) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, height, weight, or handicap.