The City of Birmingham, MI
The City of Birmingham, MI has a population of approximately 20,000 residents. Named one of the country’s “Top 20 Walkable Communities”, Birmingham covers 4.73 miles and is located 20 miles north of Detroit in Oakland County, MI. Throughout its history, Birmingham has enjoyed a high level of citizen involvement, which has contributed to the high quality of life in the community. It is a relatively affluent community with a small-town atmosphere and a vital downtown business and shopping district. With diverse cultural and recreational amenities, this indeed is a place to “live, shop, and play.”
The Principal Shopping District
The Principal Shopping District (PSD) was created in 1992 to promote a downtown that is active, attractive, clean, safe and pedestrian-oriented, and ensure that the downtown continues to serve as a center for business, service, social, cultural and community activities.
Under the general supervision of the Principal Shopping District (PSD) Board, plans, organizes, coordinates and directs programs and activities designed to promote and foster downtown Birmingham as a center for business, social, cultural, and community activity. Work functions are shared between oversight of internal operations and administration of external promotion and business attraction initiatives. The Executive Director provides administrative and managerial support for the PSD Board and its Committees, and is responsible for implementing Board policies and directives. The Executive Director represents the Board with respect to individual retailers, commercial property owners, business owners, local and regional officials, and civic and community organizations. This is a professional position; the Executive Director will report to the PSD Board and will serve at the will of the Board.
- Must possess a B.A or B.S, or its equivalent, in Economic Development, Community Development, Business or Public Administration, or a related field.
- A businessperson with a minimum of 5 years of managerial experience in business real estate development, retail promotion and/or downtown management.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with government officials, civic organizations and community agencies, businesses, commercial property owners, developers, and the general public.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to maintain records and prepare reports.
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary range of $72,000 – $93,000, Depending on Qualifications.
- This is a full-time position with benefits offerings including Paid Time Off, medical, dental, vision, 401A, Retirement Health Savings, 457, Life Ins, FSA, Short/Long-Term Disability, Tuition Reimbursement.
To Apply: Submit Cover Letter, Résumé, and Completed City of Birmingham Employment Application to the HR Department
No Later Than 4:00PM on Tuesday, January 31, 2017.
City of Birmingham Employment Applications are available online at www.bhamgov.org/jobs or in the City of Birmingham Human Resources Department, located at 151 Martin, Birmingham, MI 48009. The Human Resources Department is open Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
The City of Birmingham is an Equal Opportunity Employer seeking qualified applicants,
without regard to race or other protected status.