GRANDMONT ROSEDALE DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
The mission of the Grandmont/Rosedale Development Corporation is to preserve and improve the physical environment of the Grandmont Rosedale area to create a stronger and more vital community for all who live and work here. We pursue this mission through housing renovation and other real estate revitalization programs that address the needs and interests of the communities we serve.
Position: Executive Director
Classification: Regular full-time exempt employee
Reports to: GRDC Board of Directors and Executive Committee.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Executive Director is responsible for the overall management of the organization, program planning and development, project management, external relations, staff hiring/supervision and finance. The Executive Director works closely with the Board, staff, volunteers and consultants to carry out or delegate the following responsibilities.
- Strategic Planning and Visioning
- Facilitates development of a long-term vision and strategic plan for the organization in cooperation with the Board of Directors, community leadership and staff.
- Develops and recommends programs and services to achieve the goals of the strategic plan, for approval by the Board.
- Reports regularly to the Board of Directors and community at large on progress made toward achievement of strategic goals.
- Program Management
- Administers the day-to-day operations of the organization.
- Oversees the implementation of the organization’s programs and services, in the context of the strategic plan.
- Sets specific program and service goals and outcomes, in cooperation with program staff.
- Facilitates the planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of program and service activities.
- Ensures that programs and services meet the board’s policy guidelines and reflect the board’s priorities.
- Communicates effectively and regularly, as needed with Executive Committee members and Board regarding program progress and development.
- Financial Management
- Recommends financial policies for approval by the Board and/or Executive Committee
- Develops and maintains sound financial procedures for implementing Board policies.
- Develops an annual budget and financial plan for approval by the Board of Directors
- Administers the funds of the organization, according to the budget approved by the Board, in coordination with accounting staff.
- Identifies and secures the resources required to achieve organizational goals
- Provides the Board with regular and accurate financial statements
- Ensures that appropriate levels of insurance are maintained to protect the organization against liability risks.
- Personnel Management
- Recommends personnel policies for approval by the Board
- Develops and maintains sound personnel procedures for implementing Board policies.
- Hires, supervises, evaluates, and releases staff
- Sets clear, results-oriented goals, with realistic and measurable outcomes for individual staff members.
- Creates workplace environment to support high performance and goal achievement by staff
- Assists staff members in developing the necessary skills to be successful in their positions within the organization.
- Community Relations and Advocacy Management
- Facilitates a communication plan that informs the community of the activities and direction of the organization
- Promotes community awareness of the organization’s mission and goals
- Participates in networking and community relations activities on behalf of the organization
- Builds strong working relationships with others, both inside and outside the organization, and enlists their support for accomplishing tasks
- Maintains positive relationships with key external stakeholder groups, including but not limited to the Grandmont Rosedale area neighborhood associations.
- Represents the organization to the general public
- Executive Director’s Performance Appraisal Process
- Cooperates with, and participates in, an annual performance appraisal process
- Provides Board with information needed to assess the performance of the organization and Executive Director.
- Informs the Board of Directors about situations that affect the Executive Director’s ability to meet goals.
- Five or more years of experience in a leadership role within the non-profit, community development, or related sectors.
- Proven experience with fundraising, personnel management, financial management, effective communication and organizational strategic planning.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public presentation skills.
- Experience with single family housing renovation, homeownership programs, commercial revitalization programs, retail or mixed use development and/or other types of real estate development projects is strongly desired.
- Knowledge of trends and issues affecting community and neighborhood development.
- Strong work ethic and commitment to delivering excellent results on a consistent basis
- Passion for neighborhood development in Detroit and a strong commitment to working collaboratively with grass-roots leaders and organizations to affect community change.
- Basic competence with use of standard office software programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. Familiarity with QuickBooks accounting software also desired.
- Valid driver’s license and means of transportation.
Salary and Benefits:
Competitive salary and benefit package, commensurate with experience.
Send resume with cover letter, including salary requirements, to: email@example.com The application period will remain open until the position is filled.