Hunter Park GardenHouse Director
Allen Neighborhood Center (ANC) is a dynamic, non-profit community development organization serving the northeast quadrant of Lansing, MI, called the ‘Eastside.’ The Center takes a comprehensive and integrative approach to community development, working simultaneously on food security and food access, health education, housing improvement, commercial corridor revitalization, and social capital building. A place-based organization with deep roots in the neighborhood, we work collaboratively with a broad array of regional partners and organizations that share our comprehensive agenda.
We are seeking a full-time Hunter Park GardenHouse Director who will develop, manage and facilitate programs of our dynamic educational urban farm and garden operation.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop intensive annual crop plan, whole farm plans, seed orders, and daily farm task lists.
- Daily farm work to: plant, maintain, harvest, & post-harvest crops; soil care; IPM; food safety and quality control; maintain supplies, equipment, and farm infrastructure; provide hands-on education opportunities for volunteers/interns.
- Seed starting and transplant care for annual Plant Sale, CSA crops, and youth programs.
- Operate all logistics of a SNAP-friendly 20-45 member year-round CSA: promote, plan crop distributions, harvest, wash, & package produce, develop member relations & communications, collect & track member payments, etc.).
- Regular and robust marketing and promotion; representing the Hunter Park GardenHouse to the community (ANC website, social media, quarterly newsletters, tabling at events, etc.).
- Maintain detailed records: harvest logs, daily shift leader logs, GardenHouse utilities, multiple program revenues, etc.
- Supervise Youth Programs Coordinator who manages after-school & summer youth programs for ages 5-17 focused on farming/gardening, nutrition, job & life skills training, and community service-projects (Garden-in-a-Box, Fruit Tree Project, Edible Park, Park Cart).
- Supervise Gardening Educator AmeriCorps member who manages a robust schedule of gardening education workshops, creates weekly GardenHouse & Youth Program volunteer schedules, conducts home garden consultations, and serves alongside volunteers in daily GardenHouse tasks.
- Develop fundraising strategies, write and manage grants.
- Recruit, train, and supervise volunteers and interns involved in the GardenHouse program.
- Evaluate programs and write reports.
Candidate Profile: Successful candidates must possess a genuine passion for place-making and neighborhood revitalization as well as a work ethic that can handle the broad responsibilities of our GardenHouse Director. Qualities that we seek include:
- Education or training related to the position; and passion for food and community.
- A professional and resourceful style with the ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Strong organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail as they manage multiple tasks/projects.
- Experience in managing and creating relationships with multiple partners, patrons, and neighbors, as well as rotating AmeriCorps, interns, and volunteers.
- Entrepreneurial energy, high level of initiative, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, and teamwork.
- Excellent verbal, written, communication, and customer service skills.
- Ability to develop, implement, nurture and evaluate programs.
- Proficiency in web management, Microsoft Office Suite, graphic design programs, etc.
- Experience in events coordination and planning.
- Flexible availability required (nights and weekends).
- Passion for strengthening the local food system and for ANC’s community-building mission.
- Commitment to Lansing’s Eastside, its residents, stakeholders as well as strategic partners throughout mid-Michigan.
- Must have reliable vehicle for transporting supplies.
Full time position (40 hours/week) to begin by November 1, 2017.
Salary commensurate with experience, benefits available.
Cover letter & resume due September 24, 2017
Submit electronically to:
Joan Nelson, Allen Neighborhood Center Executive Director
1611 E. Kalamazoo St. Lansing, MI 48912