Michigan Community Resources (MCR) is a statewide nonprofit organization with offices in Detroit and Lansing. MCR was founded in 1998 with the goal of offering pro bono legal services to community organizations throughout Michigan that serve low-income individuals and communities, allowing them to focus on building stronger neighborhoods, strengthened by the people who live and work in them.
Today, MCR has evolved into an organization that offers comprehensive capacity building services. We provide technical assistance to nonprofits and community groups and equip them with the resources and tools they need to do their best work. Our areas of expertise range from pro bono legal services and neighborhood revitalization to sustainability and local economic development.
Neighborhood Exchange (NEx) is both a platform to provide Michigan community-based organizations (like block clubs, neighborhood associations, and community development corporations) with access to capacity building resources and a support network for groups to learn, share, and connect with one another. We provide one-on-one capacity building assistance, workshops, training, and grants to strengthen the work of hundreds of community-based organizations each year. Through this direct assistance and the provision of a state-wide electronic platform [www.neighborhood-exchange.com], we support a peer-to-peer exchange of ideas with the goal of breaking down barriers to information and access to resources.
MCR seeks an experienced, enthusiastic and qualified candidate to fill an immediate vacancy for the position of Neighborhood Exchange Program Manager. The NEx Program Manager will work as a member of the NEx Team and will report to the Senior Program Manager. Under the supervision of Senior Program Manager will be responsible for managing NEx key programs and affiliated staff.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Report to the Senior Program Manager and work within the NEx Team.
- Provide professional services that promote MCR’s mission, purpose, values and provide value to our clients.
- Provide oversight and management to his or her assigned Neighborhood Exchange programs and ensure goals are met or exceeded.
- Support the NEx Team in program design, outreach, implementation, and evaluation.
- Supervise and evaluate the performance of associate level program staff and interns on project specific initiatives as directed by the Senior Program Manager.
- Assist the NEx Team in building strong community relationships and networks with the nonprofit, faith-based, education, government, local business, and philanthropic communities.
- Support community-based groups in developing strong organizational skills like community organizing, project management, fund development, board governance, and more through NEx programs.
- Identify innovative and comprehensive strategies to connect communities to resources as well as public decision making processes through NEx programs.
- Review national best practices related to MCR’s work and offer recommendations on applications throughout the state.
- Serve as a co-author on technical publications, reports and other communications geared towards a broad audience that includes (but is not limited to) community stakeholders and public policy makers.
- Assist in developing and facilitating one-on-one, small group, and large group training and networking opportunities.
- Assist in identifying and communicating program needs and opportunities through the annual program planning process.
- Assist in the preparation of invoices and/or other required reports for funders, the Management Team, the Board of Directors, or Committees on an as needed basis.
- Support the Senior Program Manager in fundraising by identifying opportunities and contributing to grant writing activities.
- Support the CEO & Management Team in implementing the organization’s communications plan including contributing to content for the website, newsletters, and other internal or external communications.
- Represent organization externally at trade associations, meetings, conferences, trainings, speaker panels, and other public forums as approved by the Chief Program Office and/or CEO.
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Program Manager and Chief Program Officer.
- 4+ years of work experience comparable to the job description
- Exceptional project management skills, evidenced by previous work experience
- Exceptional small-group and large meeting facilitation skills, evidenced by planning and designing meeting processes
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with diverse populations
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to effectively manage staff
- Highly Proficient in MS Word, MS Powerpoint, and MS Excel
Preferred but not required qualifications:
- Masters in Social Work, Education, Urban Planning, Nonprofit Administration, or related discipline.
- Proficient in various social media platforms, Adobe Creative Suite, and WordPress
- Passion for and experience working with Detroit neighborhoods and community groups
- Enthusiasm for MCR’s mission to serve nonprofits and low-income communities
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and/or weekends
Michigan Community Resources is an equal opportunity employer and offers a full range of benefits. Annual salary is commensurate with experience and credentials. Interested persons should send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and contact information for three references to Alisha Opperman, Michigan Community Resources, 615 Griswold, Suite 200, Detroit MI 48226 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “NEx Program Manager” in the subject line. The position will be open until filled.