Develop Detroit was created by the Housing Partnership Network (HPN), in close partnership with key Detroit leaders and institutions. Develop Detroit is a high capacity, mission-driven real estate development company that executes significant housing and revitalization projects throughout the City. Develop Detroit promotes revitalization through catalytic neighborhood development – creating sustainable and dynamic communities that promote economic stability and enhance the quality of life for all residents.
Develop Detroit is structured and capitalized as an independent nonprofit that builds on the experience and performance of the most accomplished developers in the nation. Develop Detroit operates in key neighborhoods and is staffed and governed locally, while drawing upon the best practices and experience of HPN members from across the country. The firm has the capacity to undertake ventures independently but actively seeks partnerships with other non-profit and for-profit developers. Our primary focus is on creating affordable, mixed income and mixed-use developments as well as community facilities that help stabilize and transform neighborhoods.
The Project Analyst reports directly to the Vice President – Real Estate Development and will provide assistance in the conceptualization, analysis, and management through the development process for a variety of individual real estate projects. This position requires excellent real estate project management and financial analysis skills, and a genuine commitment to the mission of building and preserving quality housing and transforming communities. This position also requires a commitment and ability to partner effectively with a range of key stakeholders.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Work closely with the real estate staff on specific project opportunities and take responsibility for a set of key tasks and projects, from feasibility through project completion, as assigned.
- Review sites for potential development, both acquisition and rehab and new construction.
- Prepare feasibility analysis including identification of needs, population served, financial feasibility, risk review, and consistency with community plans.
- Prepare all applications for project funding, providing all technical and financial information required for a complete and competitive application.
- Maintain complete files and communication logs for assigned developments.
- Prepare and manage budgets, including preparation of regular variance reports, for assigned developments.
- Prepare funding draws and back up in compliance with the needs of public and private lenders and investors and accountants.
- Provide on-going coordination across the development team including architects, general contractors, attorneys and other members of the project development team.
- Bring or quickly develop in-depth knowledge of multifamily real estate financing markets and affordable housing subsidy programs.
- Ensure timely and efficient progress on all projects and work with development partners to ensure successful completion.
- At least three years of demonstrated experience in positions of similar responsibility (a Masters degree may be substituted for two years of experience).
- Strong time management and organizational skills with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Highly effective problem solving ability, demonstrating flexibility while remaining focused on solutions.
- Advanced proficiency with MS WORD, EXCEL, and PROJECT or similar project management software.
- Demonstrated ability to create successful projects completed on or ahead of schedule, on budget.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong negotiating and external collaboration skills, as well as sound political judgment.
- Ability to develop and monitor project budgets and timelines. Training or experience in financial analysis strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated belief in the mission of affordable, quality housing and successful community development.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required; Master’s degree preferred.
- This position is based in Detroit, MI.
- Interested Candidates should submit cover letter and resume to:
- Equal Opportunity Employer